36" x 50"
Printer fabric, cotton print, 80/20 batting, Sulky Blendables thread.
2nd Place - 2009 OKC Winter Quilt Show
3rd Place - 2008 State Fair of Oklahoma
This quilt originated from a boxful of old
novels from an antique store. Most of the books dated from the late 40's
and 50's. The titles are delightfully lurid and the cover art is vividly
suggestive, yet strangely tame.
I began by scanning the covers, and did a
layout in Electric Quilt. Once I'd decided on which covers to use, I
printed them on fabric.
As with my Geisha
Portraits quilt, I knew this quilt would be a perfect application for
It allowed me to do really detailed and precise quilting on the book covers then
assemble the completed quilt sandwiches into larger sections. I designed the sashing
strips as built-in fold lines so
the covers don't get creased during storage.
For printing the covers, I used the June
Tailor Colorfast Printer sheets. They are heavier than other fabric
sheets, but they captured the vivid colors better than any of the other
brands I tested. The covers were printed on an Epson Stylus Photo R200