Machine embroidery with 3D embroidered leaf detail.
is a display piece I made for my local sewing store.
I started out just testing a sampler disc of
new Viking embroidery designs. I loaded the design for the leaf at the
bottom and embroidered it onto water soluble stabilizer. After I soaked it
in water to remove the stabilizer, it came out wonderfully curled and
crinkled and looked like a real dried up leaf. Rather than ironing it
flat, I let it dry all crinkled up.
I then combined the leaf outline and detail designs and stitched out the background leaves. After the
piece was assembled, quilted, and bound, I attached the 3-D leaf at the
It started out just as a quickie test project, but I think it's very